At the 2017 Conference of the Mormon Transhumanist Association, I presented a brief history of the association. Below is an outline of the events I mentioned, beginning with the founding of the association on 3 March 2006 and ending in 2016, when we changed the leadership of the association. Of necessity, this history doesn't include everything the association and its members have done or experienced over the years. But it does call out what I consider to be particularly noteworthy events, in most cases reflecting my assessment of their relative magnitude of effect over time.
2006 (29 members)
- Founded by 14 members on 3 March 2006. The 14th was pseudonymous. Really.
- Launched Transfigurism.org in March 2006.
- Adopted the Transhumanist Declaration and Mormon Transhumanist Affirmation in May.
- Affiliated with the World Transhumanist Association in July 2006.
- Presented Mormon Transhumanism to Mormons at Sunstone in August 2006.
- Organized a Rosetta@Home team for medical research in November 2006.
2007 (48 members)
- Featured “Transfiguration” in the March 2007 edition of Sunstone Magazine.
- Presented Mormon Transhumanism to Transhumanists in Second Life in April 2007.
- Launched Facebook group in December 2007.
2008 (67 members)
- Organized monthly meetups beginning in January 2008.
- Rented and evicted from space on Mormon island in Second Life, in May and July 2008.
- Presented the New God Argument at Sunstone in August 2008.
2009 (83 members)
- Sponsored Parallels and Convergences Conference with Terryl Givens in March 2009.
2010 (104 members)
- Terminated and renewed affiliation with Humanity+ in April and October 2010.
- Hosted James Hughes and Max More at Transhumanism and Spirituality Conference.
2011 (133 members)
- External: Sam Harris appears to respond to the New God Argument in April 2011.
2012 (241 members)
- Published essays in Parallels and Convergences book in February 2012.
- Featured Lincoln Cannon and Giulio Prisco at first association conference in April 2012.
- Launched YouTube channel in April 2012.
2013 (365 members)
- Organized Kiva microlending team in January 2013.
- Hosted Richard Bushman and Aubrey de Grey at second association conference in April 2013.
- Sponsored Amit Goswami lecture at University of Utah in November 2013.
2014 (478 members)
- Hosted Adam Miller and Natasha Vita-More at third association conference in April 2014.
- Sponsored Atheists and Mormons panel discussion in April 2014.
- Sponsored Religion and Transhumanism Conference with Ted Peters in May 2014.
- Published “Reconcile the Members of the Body of Christ” in June 2014.
- Organized a humanitarian team, with first projects beginning in September 2014.
2015 (562 members)
- Hosted Kristine Haglund and Ralph Merkle at fourth association conference in April 2015.
- Published “What Is Mormon Transhumanism?” in the journal of Theology and Science.
- Presented Mormon Transhumanism at Samford in September 2015.
2016 (631 members)
- Amended the Mormon Transhumanist Affirmation in February 2016.
- Appointed Christopher Bradford as association president in March 2016.
- Hosted Rosalynde Welch and Eric Steinhart at fifth association conference in April 2016.
- External: The New Yorker features Mormon Transhumanism on 20 April 2016.
- Appointed Blaire Ostler as association CEO in November 2016.