Comparison of the First Book of Nephi to the Bible
9 December 2012 (updated 4 March 2022)
Available now is my computed comparison of the First Book of Nephi to the Bible, consisting of 58 pages of side-by-side text comparisons. This is part of the second edition of As One that Hath a Familiar Spirit, which I’m publishing here on my blog. Subsequently, pending sufficient interest, I may also work toward publishing more formal print or ebook copies of the entire work. If you would be interested in purchasing a print or ebook copy, please let me know by clicking here.
Here are some highlights from and observations about the computed comparison of the First Book of Nephi to the Bible:
- 1 Nephi 1 sets historical context with repeated allusions to Jeremiah
- 1 Nephi 5: 8 implicitly compares Sariah and Laban to Peter and Herod in Acts 12: 11
- 1 Nephi 7 may compare Lehi and Nephi with Samuel and Saul in 1 Samuel 10
- 1 Nephi 10: 8-9 mashes up descriptions of John the Baptist from John 1: 26-28 with Matthew 3: 3-4, 11 or a synoptic equivalent
- 1 Nephi 11: 6 describes the “Spirit of the Lord” like Mark 5: 7 describes a “man with an unclean spirit” (fundamentalists, eat your hearts out)
- 1 Nephi 11-14 repeatedly references eschatological phrases from Ezekiel 34: 6, Revelation 7: 9 and Revelation 21: 14
- 1 Nephi 17: 26 describes Moses like 2 Kings 2: 8 describes Elijah
- 1 Nephi 18: 13-21 describes a storm for Nephi’s family like Mark 4: 37-40 describes a storm for Jesus’ disciples
- 1 Nephi 20-21 closely matches Isaiah 48-49
- 1 Nephi 22 uses Acts 3: 22-25 rather than Old Testament passages referenced by Acts
And here is where you can access the comparison:
Thanks for visiting! You might also be interested in the full list of my computed comparisons of other books in the Book of Mormon to the Bible.